Attorney and Staff Profiles
The attorneys and staff at DesChamps Law Firm have served the real estate, civil litigation, and corporate law needs of business people and professionals of Horry and Georgetown counties for more than 35 years.
Our Principal Attorney and Founder
William "Bill" W. DesChamps, Jr.
South Carolina, 1976; U.S. District Court, District of South Carolina, 1977
University of South Carolina, J.D., 1976
University of Virginia, B.A., with distinction, 1973
- American Bar Association
- Horry County Bar Association (Chairman, Grievance Committee, 1990-1991)
- South Carolina Bar (Member: Ethics Advisory Committee, 1992-1995; Real Estate Practices, Alternative Dispute Resolution, and Construction Law Sections; Lawyer Referral Program)
- Certified Circuit Court Mediator
- Certified Circuit Court Arbitrator
- Licensed Title Insurance Agent
- Life Member of the National Registry of Who's Who published in the 1998 edition
- Member: Myrtle Beach Area Chamber of Commerce
- Leadership Grand Strand
- Member and past Trustee of Belin Memorial Methodist Church in Murrells Inlet, SC
- Past Member, Horry County Board of Education
- Past Advisory Board Member, Carolina First Bank
- Past President, Mt. Gilead HOA, Inc.
- Former Instructor and Law Lecturer: Greater Horry County Association of Realtors, "Legal Pitfalls" course
- Healy's Real Estate Institute, 1978-1981
- Approved Mediator, South Carolina Council for Mediation and Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Certified Circuit Court Mediator and Arbitrator, Board of Arbitrator and Mediator Certification, South Carolina Supreme Court
- Curtis v. DesChamps, 350 SE 2d 201, 290 SC 315(SC App 1986)
- Ocean Holiday Partnership v. Saro Investments, 441 SE 2d 835 (SC App. 1994)
- Bradley v. Brentwood Homes , Inc., 2012 SC Lexis 137
CresCom Bank; Harrington Construction Company, Inc.; TD Bank; Surfside Realty Co., Inc.; L & R Sitework, Inc.; Sea Dip, Inc.; Mt Gilead Special Tax District; Arcadian Special Tax District; Hidden Woods Special Tax District; The Original Benjamin’s Calabash Seafood; Drunken Jacks; Kamla, Inc.; Southwest Motels Partnership; C & P Partnership; McDillon Holdings, LLC.; Midlands-I-77-Holdings, LLC; American Safety Insurance Company; BNC Bank; NBSC; Conway National Bank; South Atlantic Bank; Old Republic Title Insurance Company; Fidelity National Title Insurance Company; Chicago Title Insurance Company.
Our Associate Attorneys
William "Trey" W. DesChamps, III
- South Carolina, 2008
- Charleston School of Law, J.D., 2008
- Clemson University, B.S. in Finance, Cum Laude, 2005
- Calhoun Honors College, 2005
- Horry County Bar Association
- South Carolina Bar
William “Trey” W. DesChamps, III is an Associate of DesChamps Law Firm and primarily practices in civil litigation matters. After earning his Juris Doctor in 2008 from the Charleston School of Law, Mr. DesChamps served as a Law Clerk to the Honorable Steven H. John from August of 2008 to August of 2009. He is the first graduate of the Charleston School of Law to successfully argue a case before the South Carolina Supreme Court, resulting in a published opinion, establishing case law regarding the applicability of the Federal Arbitration Act to a contract for the sale and purchase of a home. He earned a B.S. in 2005 from Clemson University and was a Cum Laude graduate. He is also a graduate of the Calhoun Honors College at Clemson University.
- Bradley v. Brentwood Homes, Inc., 2012 SC Lexis 137
Bhumi A. Patel
- Commercial and Residential Real Estate Closings
- Construction & Contract Litigation
- Creditor & Debtor Representation
- Mortgage Foreclosures
South Carolina, 2008
Charleston School of Law, J.D., 2008
University of South Carolina, B.S. in Psychology, 2004
- Horry County Bar Association
- South Carolina Bar
Bhumi A. Patel is an Associate of DesChamps Law Firm and primarily practices in real estate related matters, including closings, mechanics liens, and foreclosure litigation. Ms. Patel earned her Juris Doctor in 2008 from the Charleston School of Law, where she was an Associate Editor-in-Chief of Federal Courts Law Review and a member of Women in Law. She earned a CALI Award in Comparative Constitutionalism. Ms. Patel earned a B.S. in 2004 from the University of South Carolina. She was born in Ahemdabad, Gujarat, India where she completed grades fifth through eighth grades, making her fluent in Gujrati and Hindi.
Ms. Patel has earned the distinction of being designated as review counsel for several area banks. She is responsible for the review of the real estate title work, supervises the residential real estate closings, and is the contact person with DesChamps Title Agency, Inc. She was instrumental in the formation of one of the three special tax districts for road maintenance in Horry County.
- Myrtle Beach Area Chamber of Commerce
- Licensed South Carolina Real Estate Broker
- Palmetto Land Title
Peggy DesChamps has been with the DesChamps Law Firm since 1982 and, prior to the addition of Bhumi A. Patel as an associate attorney, was the supervisor of the real estate department and the contact person with DesChamps Title Agency, Inc.
She is now the office administrator and is the contact person for all administrative matters. Please contact her for administrative matters at her email address of email@example.com.