William “Bill” W. DesChamps, Jr., is our managing attorney and the founder of DesChamps Law Firm. For more than 45 years, Mr. DesChamps has represented clients in transactional, real estate, business, commercial, construction, and complex civil litigation matters. His legal knowledge and experience as a practicing attorney in the State of South Carolina dates back to 1976 when he started practicing in the Myrtle Beach and surrounding Grand Strand area. Mr. DesChamps is recognized as counsel and/or advisor for local attorneys, judges, lenders, business leaders, banks, contractors, hoteliers, franchisors, franchisees, and commercial real estate investors and participants. He routinely represents clients in complex civil litigation proceedings, closings, and other commercial transactions; serves as advisory and review counsel for banks and business owners; and provides general business advisory services to clients. As a Certified Mediator in both South Carolina state and federal courts, Mr. DesChamps has mediated numerous civil disputes, and is often selected to mediate civil litigation proceedings in our area.
Bill has achieved a Martindale Hubbell AV Preeminent Peer Review Rating and was selected as a Top Rated Lawyer in Construction Law and Litigation by “Corporate Counsel” and “the American Lawyer.” He established “wrap-around” mortgage case law in South Carolina in a 1994 published opinion of the South Carolina Court of Appeals.
In addition to practicing law, Bill has had substantial ownership interests in motels, office buildings, and commercial real estate.
Bill enjoys spending time with his wife Peggy and their family.
- Bradley v. Brentwood Homes, Inc., 398 S.C. 447, 730 S.E.2d 312 (2012)
- Carolina First Bank v. BADD, LLC, 400 S.C. 343, 733 S.E.2d 619 (Ct. App. 2012)
- Curtis v. DesChamps, 290 S.C. 315, 350 S.E.2d 201 (Ct. App. 1986)
- Hendricks v. Hicks, 374 S.C. 616, 649 S.E.2d 151 (Ct. App. 2007)
- Saro Invs. v. Ocean Holiday P'ship, 314 S.C. 116, 441 S.E.2d 835 (Ct. App. 1994)
Organization & Association Memberships
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rating Preeminent which is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that Mr. DesChamps' peers rank him at the highest level of professional excellence.
- Selected as a Top Rated Lawyer in Construction Law and Litigation by “Corporate Counsel” and “The American Lawyer”
- American Bar Association
- Horry County Bar Association (Chairman, Grievance Committee, 1990-1991)
- South Carolina Bar (Ethics Advisory Committee, 1992-1995; Real Estate Practices, Alternative Dispute Resolution, Construction Law, and Senior Members Sections; Lawyer Referral Program)
- Life member of the National Registry of Who's Who
- Myrtle Beach Area Chamber of Commerce
- Leadership Grand Strand, 1996
- Member and Past Trustee of Belin Memorial United Methodist Church
- Past Member of Horry County Board of Education
- Past Advisory Board Member of Carolina First Bank
- Past President, Mt. Gilead HOA, Inc.
- Member of VSAF (Virginia Student Aid Foundation at the University of Virginia)
- Life Member University of Virginia Alumni Association
- Past Jervey Member of IPTAY at Clemson University
- Former Instructor and Law Lecturer, Greater Horry County Association of Realtors, 'Legal Pitfalls' course
- Healy's Real Estate Institute, 1978-1981
- United Bank
- Harrington Construction Company, Inc.
- Anderson Brothers Bank
- Surfside Realty Co., Inc.
- L & R Sitework, Inc.
- Sea Dip, Inc.
- Mt Gilead Special Tax District
- Arcadian Special Tax District
- Hidden Woods Special Tax District
- The Original Benjamin’s Calabash Seafood
- Drunken Jacks; Kamla, Inc.
- Southwest Motels Partnership
- C & P Partnership
- McDillon Holdings, LLC
- Midlands-I-77-Holdings, LLC
- BNC Bank
- NBSC - Synovus
- Conway National Bank
- South Atlantic Bank
- Old Republic Title Insurance Company
- Fidelity National Title Insurance Company
- S & W Construction Company
- AASAP Construction Company
- Commercial Real Estate Litigation
- Commercial & Residential Real Estate
- Construction Law, Contracts & Litigation
- Civil Litigation
- Corporate Law
- Review Counsel for area Lenders
- Commercial Foreclosures & Lender Representation
- Expert Witness
- Arbitration & Mediation
- Special Tax Districts
Admitted to Practice
- South Carolina
- United States District Court, District of South Carolina
- United States Supreme Court
Certification & Qualifications
- Certified Mediator, South Carolina Council for Mediation & Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Certified Mediator, United States District Court, District of South Carolina
- Certified South Carolina Circuit Court Mediator & Arbitrator, Board of Arbitrator and Mediator Certification, South Carolina Supreme Court
- Licensed Title Insurance Agent
- Qualified in the Fifteenth Judicial Circuit as an expert witness in the field of real estate law
- Murrells Inlet 2020
- Beach Ball Classic